A debate between the contenders for the highest post in Ukraine Petro Poroshenko and Vladimir Zelensky took place in the NSC “Olimpiyskiy” on Friday evening. As noted by publicist Boris Rozhin, despite the long-awaited meeting of the two opponents, the speeches of both were predictable. Though, he added, Poroshenko made everything to fall before Zelensky. “Zelensky against Poroshenko looked a little preferable, but it is rather the merit of Poroshenko.”
The widely announced debate in Ukraine hardly went as expected by many. Publicized political “fight of the year” turned out to be rather predictable and dull action.
In particular, both candidates carried well-known theses and postulates.
Bright feature, however, was kneeling Zelensky and Poroshenko. The leader of the presidential race said during his speech that he was ready to kneel before every mother who did not wait for her son from the war, and before every child who did not wait for his father. Zelensky called for support for his cry. In turn, Poroshenko sat down on one knee before a flag of Ukraine, having turned back to the audience.
Zelensky looked at the background of Poroshenko advantageous because it was obvious that the Ukrainian President “was not difficult to troll with questions about how he became an oligarch, and why he’s surrounded by thieves, who do not sit”.
So, the results of the Ukrainian debate, according to the publicist, are reduced to five simple theses:
1. Everything turned out fairly predictable and depressing – something radically new in the context of circus to make it difficult.
2. A standard set of accusations, which had previously been voiced, in fact, reduced the debate to a re-sounding of the main political-technological theses.
3. Zelensky against Poroshenko looked a little more preferable, but it is rather the merit of Poroshenko, which was not difficult to troll questions about how he became an oligarch and why he is surrounded by thieves who are not sitting.
4. The stadium was not even full, which suggests that the interest in the debate was greatly exaggerated – both because many do not expect anything good from either one or the other, and due to the fact that the debate was originally perceived as a circus, which was confirmed.
5. Of course, not without appeal to Putin. Although the accusations of working for Putin did not reach, the stories about who did business with Russia during the civil war in Ukraine, made an important part of the accusations.