The withdrawal of US troops from Afghanistan is proceeding as planned, Pentagon Chief Lloyd Austin said on Thursday.
“So far, the withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan is proceeding as planned,” Austin said during a Pentagon briefing.
The United States and its NATO allies launched a military operation in Afghanistan in 2001. It was held as part of the “Enduring Freedom” campaign, which was a response to the terrorist attack of September 11, 2001. In 2014, Afghanistan, as well as the United States and NATO, signed security agreements that allow the allies to maintain a limited military presence in the country. On January 1, 2015, the combat operation was replaced by the non-combat mission “Resolute Support.”
In 2020, the United States and the radical Taliban movement signed the first agreement in more than 18 years of war, which provides for the withdrawal of foreign troops in May of this year, with the end of violence in the country. Currently, there are less than 10 thousand military personnel of NATO and the alliance’s partner states in Afghanistan, including 2.5 thousand American troops. Their main task is to train and train the Afghan security forces.