The US Space Force is monitoring space debris left behind after a rocket launched in China last week put the core of a future Chinese space station into orbit, the White House said on Wednesday.
“The United States considers it its duty to study the risks associated with the growing clogging caused by space debris and increasing activity in outer space,” White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said during a regular briefing for journalists on Wednesday.
“We intend to work with the international community to defend … responsible behavior in space,” she said.
Recall that last Thursday, China launched an unmanned module containing future living quarters for three crew members of the permanent space station, the construction of which Beijing plans to complete by the end of 2022.
The Harmony of the Heavens module was launched using China’s largest Long March launch vehicle from the Wenchang Space center on Hainan Island. Tianhe is one of the three main components of China’s future first proprietary space station, which will compete with the only other operational station, the ISS.