US meteorologists warn that the new hurricane season will not be easy

According to a new report, US meteorologists predict that this year’s hurricane season will be more intense than usual.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) said in a press release that there is currently a 60 percent chance that the hurricane season will be heavier than usual, 30% says that the season will pass within the normal range, and only 10% is the probability of a calmer than usual season.

In the hurricane season, which begins on June 1 and ends on November 30, meteorologists usually record the emergence of 14 hurricanes, including seven hurricanes and three very destructive hurricanes. This year, according to the report, meteorologists expect from six to 10 hurricanes, of which from three to five will be destructive.

Historical records were broken in 2020 when the season recorded the appearance of 14 hurricanes, seven of which were very strong.

However, experts warn that residents of coastal areas should remain vigilant throughout the season.

“One storm is enough to destroy a residential area,” said Ben Friedman, NOAA’s acting administrator.

Senior forecaster Matthew Rosencrans said that climate change has led to an increase in storm precipitation of about 3% compared to normal levels, and he expects this figure to increase to 10% in the future.

Hurricane Laura flooded parts of Louisiana and southeast Texas last August, killing dozens of people. By the end of the 2020 hurricane season, meteorologists had run out of names, and they began naming storms with letters of the Greek alphabet.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Author: Steve Cowan
Graduated From Princeton University. He has been at the Free Press since October 2014. Previously worked as a regional entertainment editor.
Function: Chief-Editor
137 number 0.262079 time