The British Prime Minister is going to put the agreement with the EU to a vote in Parliament for the fourth time. To ensure its approval, she is ready to change the text of the document and submit it to a referendum.
Members of the British Parliament have the last chance to implement “Brexit” — to vote for the updated version of the agreement on withdrawal from the European Union. This was stated on May 21 by Prime Minister Theresa May in London. The speech was broadcast on Twitter of the premiere.
The parameters of the Treaty on withdrawal from the EU May agreed with Brussels in November last year, but could not enlist the support of the majority in the House of Commons. Her project failed in Parliament three times — two in January and one in March. At the vote in March 344 deputies voted against the project, for — 286.
The fourth vote is expected to take place in early June. To achieve approval of the agreement, May promised to include additional conditions:
– the government will provide legally binding guarantees that it will try to take measures to maintain a transparent border between the Republic of Ireland (EU member state) and Northern Ireland (part of the United Kingdom) by December 2020. This will avoid the activation of the so-called backstop mechanism. It obliges Britain to remain in the common customs zone with the EU and follow part of the Union regulations after “Brexit” if the parties do not reach an agreement to avoid the appearance of the border. Previously, backstop was subjected to harsh criticism from May’s associates, who pointed out that when it is activated Britain will be dependent on the EU position;
– if the backstop mechanism will still be applied, the government promises that Britain and Northern Ireland will be in the same conditions and follow the same economic regulations. Thus, May made concessions to the Northern Ireland Democratic Unionist party — partners of conservatives who fear that Brexit will jeopardize the integrity of the United Kingdom;
– before entering into force any agreements on the conditions under which Britain will interact with the EU in the future must be approved by the British deputies;
– the government will put to a vote a new bill designed to ensure that the rights of British workers will be the same or more beneficial than the rights of workers in the EU;
– the government will undertake to monitor that environmental standards in the country remain after Brexit at the current level and are not blurred;
– the British authorities will make every effort to maintain the closest possible relations with the European Union in the sphere of mutual trade;
– the deputies will have the opportunity to decide what format of customs cooperation they want to have with the EU;
– MPs will vote whether to put the may’s agreement to a referendum, as required by members of the opposition. May did not specify whether voters will have the opportunity to vote for the abolition of “Brexit”;
– the government undertakes to revise the Political Declaration on the future relations between London and Brussels in such a way as to take into account the wishes of the British deputies and the new terms of the Treaty on withdrawal from the EU.
According to May, determining the updated parameters of the agreement, she took into account the wishes of her critics in the ruling Conservative party, as well as in the opposition labor party. “We have prepared a new proposal to reach a consensus in the Parliament, — the Prime Minister said. — I made compromises. Now I ask others to make compromises so that we can implement the verdict of the citizens of the United Kingdom.” Calling for support for her project, she added that the details of the updated agreement on withdrawal from the EU will be published in the coming days.