Health authorities do not recommend that Americans gather in large groups on holiday.
The White House plans to hold a holiday reception next week, despite the ongoing COVID-19 outbreaks on the complex and contrary to the recommendations of experts who urge Americans to abandon traditional family gatherings on the occasion of Thanksgiving.
First lady Melania Trump is hosting a “holiday reception” at the White House on November 30, according to an invitation received by ABC News. White House officials have yet to comment.
The US authorities are urging Americans not to gather in large groups on thanksgiving, stay at home. They refuse to travel to relatives to contain the spread of the coronavirus and protect vulnerable groups. Over the weekend, the number of cases in the country exceeded 12 million.
According to the White House, the President and his wife will spend the holidays in Washington and will not go to their resort in Florida, but the reception will take place just three days after Thanksgiving.
In recent months, after events at the White House, there have been repeated outbreaks of infections. A few days ago, one of the administration’s aides and four other people were diagnosed with the coronavirus.
“We want everyone to understand that these holiday parties can become major hotbeds of infection,” US chief health officer Jerome Adams told ABC News on Monday, calling for outdoor celebrations with a limited number of participants and recalling the recommendations of the Centers for disease control and prevention.
“These recommendations apply to the White House and all American citizens,” he said.
However, it seems that many Americans ignored these recommendations. Although the number of air passengers is now about 60 percent lower than last year, Federal transportation services said on Monday that the screening points recorded the highest load since March.