The working group’s briefings were discontinued at the end of April.
President Donald Trump announced on Monday the resumption of press briefings of the working group on coronavirus at the White House in connection with the growing number of infections across the country.
“I think this is a great way to get information to the public,” Trump said, addressing reporters in the oval office. He said the briefings were likely to begin on Tuesday.
The President hopes to talk about medical progress in the fight against the pandemic, including vaccination and therapy.
It is not yet known whether the President will answer questions from reporters during briefings, as he has done in the past, or whether Vice President Mike Pence and health experts will answer questions from the press along with Trump.
Trump recently criticized Anthony Fauci, the country’s top infectious disease expert, calling him “a bit of an alarmist” in an interview with Fox News. However, the President added: “I have a great relationship with him.”
The White House stopped holding press briefings of the working group on coronavirus with the President at the end of April.
Last week, Trump’s senior adviser, Kellyanne Conway, publicly called on the President to hold briefings again.
“His approval rating for the pandemic was higher when he was on the podium,” Conway said.
Trump’s approval ratings rose in the first months of the coronavirus pandemic in the US but began to decline in April.
The decision to resume White House briefings came less than a week after Trump announced significant changes to his campaign staff – the President decided to change his campaign Manager.