Pompeo called the plan “an act of diplomacy,” stressing that Washington is committed to a peaceful solution.
The United States has said it is forming a coalition to deter threats from Iran amid the recent attack on Saudi oil facilities.
According to US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, President Donald Trump, who ordered tougher sanctions against Iran, wants to resolve the crisis peacefully.
Pompeo spoke after talks with the leaders of Saudi Arabia and the UAE, which focused on the strikes on the refinery. Both Washington and Riyadh place responsibility on Tehran.
Iran denies involvement in the attack, which initially disabled half of Saudi oil production capacity. Pompeo previously called the strike an “act of war” against the world’s largest oil exporter.
However, his rhetoric has softened somewhat after talks with the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi-the de facto leader of the UAE, Riyadh’s closest ally in the Arab world.
“We are here to form a coalition aimed at achieving peace and a peaceful solution. This is my mission. That’s what President Trump wants me to aspire to. And I hope the Islamic Republic of Iran looks at it the same way,” Pompeo told reporters.
He didn’t specify any details about the coalition.
Washington has been working to build an international Maritime Alliance since the attacks on oil tankers in the Persian Gulf, in which the US also blames Iran.
The UAE, Saudi Arabia, Britain, and Bahrain expressed its intention to join the coalition. Iraq has said it will not participate, and most European countries are wary of joining the coalition for fear of escalating tensions in the region.
Pompeo called the proposed coalition an ” act of diplomacy,” while Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif stressed in an interview with CNN on Thursday that Iran “will not hesitate for a second” if it has to defend itself against an American or Saudi strike, which he said would lead to a “full-scale war.”
Pompeo said that the attacks on the refinery will be one of the main topics of the upcoming session of the UN General Assembly, and invited Riyadh to present its arguments on this platform.
The United States has given Rouhani and Zarif the visa allows travel to New York for the UN General Assembly, confirmed the representative of the Iranian mission to the UN Alireza Marusefi.
As reported on Thursday in the “Twitter” Iranian Foreign Ministry, Zarif will fly to New York on Friday.
Meanwhile, according to officials, the Pentagon on Friday will present Trump with a wide range of military options, while the President ponders response to the strikes on the refinery.
Among other things, the President will be offered a list of possible targets for airstrikes in Iran. He will also be warned that military action against the Islamic Republic could lead to war.