The Dutch prosecutor’s office will not use as evidence a US memorandum from 2014, which mentions satellite images that allegedly recorded the launch of a rocket on the plane of flight MH17, Prosecutor Theis Berger said at a hearing on Thursday.
“As we have already said, the US authorities previously refused to provide satellite images from the crash site for security reasons. Thus, we have only a limited memorandum from them. We will not use it as evidence,” the prosecutor said.
Earlier it was reported that the United States informed the Netherlands that they could not provide additional data on the launch of a rocket by Boeing to a document that was sent by them back in 2014. According to the presiding judge Hendrik Steenhuis, the court asked the American side whether it was possible to add to the case classified satellite images that recorded the launch of the rocket and which were transferred to the special services of the Netherlands. The prosecutor’s office replied that the request was sent to the United States back in 2014, and then only a memorandum was received in response, without pictures.
The trial of the crash of flight MH17 began in the Netherlands on March 9, 2020. Four defendants are being held on it – Russians Igor Girkin, Sergey Dubinsky, Oleg Pulatov, and Ukrainian Leonid Kharchenko. Pulatov is represented at the trial by an international group consisting of two Dutch and one Russian lawyer. The remaining suspects are being tried in absentia.