The radical Taliban movement is not going to stop fighting until the start of inter-Afghan talks, 1TV News reported, citing Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid.
It is noted that earlier on Sunday, the representative of the President of Afghanistan Sediq Sediqqi called on the Taliban to renounce violence and take a real part in the peace process.
According to the TV channel, Mujahid said that the fighting will continue, as the Taliban has no other option yet. He called calls for a ceasefire by the authorities “illogical.” He stressed that the completion of the process of releasing prisoners is a necessary condition for the start of inter-Afghan negotiations.
“If you don’t want to continue the war, why create obstacles in the way of negotiations?” – TV channel quotes Mujahid.
Sediqqi has previously said that the government is determined to start negotiations, but the full release of prisoners by the Taliban is an essential condition. Former Taliban commander Syed Akbar Agha also said that the movement insists on the full version of prisoners before the start of inter-Afghan negotiations.
In Afghanistan, there is a confrontation between government forces and militants of the radical Taliban movement, which previously captured significant territory in rural areas of the country and launched an offensive on major cities. The influence of the terrorist group “Islamic state” has also increased in the country. The national defense and security forces of Afghanistan are conducting joint counter-terrorism operations throughout the country.