NATO is also withdrawing its forces from the country.
More than 50% of US troops and military equipment have already been withdrawn from Afghanistan. This was announced on Tuesday by the Central Command (CENTCOM) of the US Armed Forces, whose area of operational responsibility includes Central Asia and the Middle East.
“Since President Joe Biden made the decision [to withdraw troops], the Pentagon has carried out approximately 500 flights of C-17 military transport aircraft for the export of military cargo. In addition, almost 13 thousand units of military equipment were transferred to the Department of Logistics of the Ministry of Defense for destruction. The US has also officially handed over six bases to the Afghan Ministry of Defense. CENTCOM estimates that the withdrawal process is more than 50% complete,” the statement said.
A day earlier, the head of the Central Command of the US Armed Forces, General Kenneth McKenzie, said during a telephone briefing that the US army is “about halfway and moving at a comfortable pace for us.” Washington intends to complete the withdrawal of troops by September.
On April 14 Biden announced plans to begin withdrawing U.S. troops from Afghanistan in May and complete it by September 11. This decision differs from Washington’s commitment to return its troops home by May 1, 2021, which was enshrined in the agreement reached in February last year in Doha (Qatar) between the previous US administration and the Taliban.
At the end of April, according to the Pentagon, there were 2.5 thousand American soldiers and officers in Afghanistan. NATO is also withdrawing its forces from Afghanistan.