The death toll from flooding and mudslides caused by torrential rains in the provinces of Kastamonu and Sinop on the Black Sea coast of Turkey has increased to 55, the Turkish Disaster and Emergency Management Presidency (AFAD) said on Saturday.
Earlier on Saturday, 44 people were reported dead. Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan has declared the provinces of Kastamonu, Sinop, and Bartin in northern Turkey, affected by flooding and mudslides, a disaster zone. 284 people were affected by the natural disaster.
“As a result of the natural disaster, 46 of our citizens were killed in Kastamonu, eight – in Sinop and one – in Bartin. Nine people continue to be treated in hospitals,” the report says.
Earlier it was reported that search and rescue operations in the disaster area are continuing; more than 1,700 people have been evacuated. About 300 settlements were left without electricity. Due to the destruction of bridges and damage to the roadway, traffic was blocked on some roads in the disaster area, including the Bartin-Karabyuk highway. In Bozkurt, Kastamonu province, several multi-story buildings collapsed due to a mudslide; rescuers are working on the rubble.