Pompeo welcomes Germany’s decision to ban Hezbollah

US Secretary of state Mike Pompeo said on Thursday that he welcomes Germany’s decision to ban the Lebanese movement Hezbollah, which is recognized as a terrorist in the United States and several other countries.

“We are grateful to Germany for a comprehensive ban on Hezbollah and for taking firm measures against those suspected of supporting Hezbollah,” Pompeo said in a written statement.
The US Secretary of state said that Germany had joined a growing number of countries that refuse to recognize the political wing of Hezbollah. According to him, this will help reduce the “harmful influence” of Iran, whose support the movement enjoys.

Pompeo again accused Hezbollah in the murder of citizens of the United States and other countries.

Previously, the Hezbollah movement was banned in the UK, unrecognized Kosovo, as well as in several Latin American countries.

German Interior Minister Horst Seehofer on Thursday banned the activities of the Lebanese Hezbollah movement in the country.

Last December, the Bundestag called on the Federal government to impose a ban on Hezbollah activities in Germany. The deputies explained the need for this by the fact that there are about a thousand supporters of the movement in Germany, and the organization uses the country as a place for hiding militants and a logistics center. Politicians also called for the government to stop drawing the line between the political and paramilitary wings of the Lebanese movement.

Also, the deputies insisted that the government, together with international partners, take measures to reduce the influence of Hezbollah in the Middle East, “especially in Syria.” At the same time, they asked to ban only the activities of the movement, but not the action itself as such, since the presence of “social and organizational structures of Hezbollah in Germany “is not established (there is no movement as a legal entity).

Google News button