This week, a military satellite was launched by the Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps – a terrorist paramilitary organization.
The launch of a military satellite carried out this week by the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps, which was previously listed by the US as a terrorist organization, is evidence of what the Trump administration has been saying for a long time: Iran’s claims that its space program is peaceful and civilian are a fiction. This was announced on Saturday by Secretary of state Mike Pompeo.
The launch of the Iranian satellite “makes clear what we have said all along: Iran’s space program is neither peaceful nor completely civilian,” Pompeo said in a statement.
The Secretary of state recalled that in February 2020, the head of the national space Agency of Iran, Morteza Berari, said that Iran stands for “the use of outer space for peaceful purposes.” He also said that “all our activities in the field of space are transparent.” This week, Iran’s Information Minister said that “Iran’s space program is peaceful.”
“The latest military launch, which was designed and conducted in secret, proves that these statements were false,” Pompeo said.
The launch vehicle that launched the Iranian satellite is based on technologies that are identical and interchangeable with ballistic missiles, including Intercontinental ballistic missiles, the head of the State Department said.
Pompeo called on “all peace-loving countries to reject Iran’s development of technologies capable of creating ballistic missiles and unite to limit Iran’s dangerous missile programs.”
The Secretary of state called on all States of the world to support the extension of the UN conventional arms embargo against Iran, which expires in October this year. According to Pompeo, “we cannot allow the world’s leading sponsor of terrorism and anti-Semitism to buy and sell conventional weapons.”
The US also called on the European Union to punish individuals and entities involved in the development of the Iranian missile program.