The US will continue to impose restrictions on the export of American goods to the Chinese company Huawei for threatening US national security and global stability, said Secretary of state Mike Pompeo.
“The United States will continue to restrict most US exports to Huawei and its affiliates that are blacklisted for activities that threaten US national security and international stability,” Pompeo said in a statement.
Earlier on Friday, it became known that the US Department of Commerce took measures against the supply of semiconductors from global chip manufacturers of the Chinese company Huawei. Under the amendments, foreign companies using American chip manufacturing equipment will have to obtain a license in the United States before supplying specific chips to Huawei or a division such as HiSilicon.
“Today’s expansion of the rules helps prevent Huawei from violating American export controls by closing a loophole that allowed the company to exploit American technology and threaten our national security. It also imposes restrictions on US export controls on countries that use US technology or software to develop and manufacture semiconductors for Huawei. Companies wishing to sell certain Huawei products manufactured using American technology must now obtain a license from the United States,” the Secretary of state said in a statement.