“Obama-style mistake.” A number of US senators did not support Trump’s decision to withdraw troops from Syria

The members of the Senate of the US Congress spoke on Wednesday against the decision of President Donald Trump on the beginning of the withdrawal from Syria.

Republican Senator Lindsay Graham, who is considered a supporter of Trump, criticized the decision on Twitter. “The withdrawal of a few American forces from Syria will be a huge mistake in the style of Obama,” he wrote. Chairman of the Senate foreign Affairs Committee Bob Corker said he “did not understand what happened”, noting that he would wait for clarification from Secretary of state Michael Pompeo and Pentagon chief James Mattis.

Democratic senators Robert Menendez and Jack Reed criticized the President’s decision. “Alarming reports that President Trump ordered the immediate withdrawal of US troops and state Department staff from Syria without any plan or stabilization measures is another dangerous example of the lack of strategy in the administration,”-said in their joint statement.

Also, his dissatisfaction was expressed by Senator Jim Inhof, who believes that Trump should have warned in advance about his decision “if not the entire Senate, then at least the Committee on the armed forces.” “Many American allies will be killed if this retreat is carried out,” Senator Ben Sass, representing the Republican Party, said in turn. “Eight days ago, the administration called the theoretical withdrawal “reckless”, and today we are withdrawing,” he stressed.

One of the few who supported Trump, was Senator Rand Paul. “I am so happy for the President, who can declare victory and return our soldiers from the war. This has not happened for a long time,” he wrote on Twitter.

Earlier Wednesday, the US President ordered the full withdrawal of troops from Syria, where there are 2 thousand US troops. Trump wrote on Twitter that the United States achieved a victory over the IS, which was the only goal of the American military contingent. The decision of the US administration was announced after Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced last week his intention to launch a new operation in the near future to the East of the Euphrates against the Kurdish formations, where the main forces of the US contingent are concentrated.