Artemis 1 (“Artemis I”) is a planned NASA unmanned flight of the Orion spacecraft on the Space Launch System carrier rocket as part of the Artemis program. The first flight of the SLS launch vehicle. The launch is scheduled to take place from the Kennedy Space Center no earlier than November 2021.
Artemis I will be an uncrewed flight test of the Space Launch System (SLS) and Orion spacecraft prior to the first crewed flight of the Artemis II. The flight will be unmanned, but there will be a special dummy in the ship. NASA needs your help in choosing the right name for it. The mission of the “moon dummy” is to collect data before missions with astronauts.
A mannequin is an anatomical model that mimics the human body and is commonly used in emergency response training, medical education and research. The dummy on the Artemis I will be equipped with two radiation sensors and sensors in the seat – one under the headrest and the other behind the seat – to record acceleration and vibration throughout the mission. The data will help NASA understand how best to protect the Artemis II crew.
The mannequin itself is presented in the form of a male body. On Artemis I, he will be accompanied by two models of the human torso, called phantoms, made from materials that mimic the human bones, soft tissues and organs of an adult woman.
At the beginning of the competition, there are eight names to choose from, but only one can win. You can vote for the best name on the agency’s social networks – Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. The winners of each grid compete against each other until the final match on Monday 28 June.
Here are the options already:
- ACE – Acronym for Artemis Crew Explorer
- CAMPOS – Honoring Arturo Campos, who took part in the Apollo 13 mission home.
- DELOS is the island where, according to Greek myth, Apollo and Artemis were born.
- DUHART is a dedication to Irene Dukhart Long, Chief Physician of the Kennedy Space Center.
- MONTGOMERY is a dedication to Julius Montgomery, the first African American to serve as a technician at the Cape Canaveral Space Complex.
- RIGEL is a giant superstar in the constellation Orion.
- SHACKLETON is a crater at the south pole of the Moon and the name of a famous Antarctic explorer.
- WARGO is a dedication to Michael Vargo, the agency’s first Chief Scientist.
The final title will be announced on Tuesday, June 29th.