The German Defense Ministry is considering a full withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan in four months, the Rheinische Post newspaper reported, citing a Ministry spokesperson.
“It is essential, especially for the protection of German military personnel, that the German Ministry of defense develops various scenarios for the withdrawal of the Bundeswehr (from Afghanistan), including the withdrawal (of troops) in less than four months,” Tobias Lindner, a representative of the green faction in the Bundestag, told the publication.
A spokesman for the Ministry of Defense confirmed that a plan for the withdrawal of German troops from Afghanistan within four months is being developed. At the same time, the defense Department stressed that such a scenario was planned even before the recent statement by US President Donald Trump about the reduction of American troops in Afghanistan.
Earlier, German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas said that Berlin expects to promptly discuss with the new US administration Washington’s previously announced plans to withdraw part of Germany’s American contingent.
At the beginning of the week, acting US Secretary of Defense Christopher Miller said that the number of us troops in Afghanistan until January 15 would be reduced from 4.5 to 2.5 thousand people. He stressed that this is