In Qatar hosted a meeting of representatives of the United States and the Taliban

The parties discussed possible violations of the agreement and the promotion of peace efforts.

US officials met with Taliban representatives in Qatar to discuss possible violations of the agreement reached by the parties on February 29, and some other issues, a Taliban official said.
“They discussed the full implementation of the agreement, as well as the delay in the release of prisoners. They also discussed violations of the agreement and other problems and ways to solve them,” Suhail Shaheen, an official representative of the political wing of the Taliban in Doha, wrote on Twitter.

At the meeting in Qatar, the US was represented by the commander of US forces in Afghanistan, General Austin Miller, as well as lead negotiator Zalmay Khalilzad, and the Taliban delegation was led by the head of the political wing, Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar. As the host of the party was made Minister of Foreign Affairs of Qatar Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdur Rahman al-Thani.
The Taliban have repeatedly claimed that the US side is violating its obligations under the agreement by attacking civilians and non-combatant Taliban forces. The US authorities deny this.
For example, a Taliban spokesman, Zabiullah Mujahid, recently said that “American invaders and their local puppets” had bombed Badakhshan province, killing residents and destroying their homes.

The February agreement allows the parties to defend themselves in the event of an attack but prohibits initiating attacks on each other.

Earlier this month, the official representative of the US forces in Afghanistan, Colonel Sonny Leggett, published a tweet in which he denied such accusations.

“US forces in Afghanistan have observed and continue to observe the military terms of the agreement with the Taliban. Any claims to the contrary are baseless. US forces in Afghanistan have made it clear: we will protect our partners from the armed forces of Afghanistan in the event of an attack, under the terms of the agreement,” he wrote.
The Afghan authorities, for their part, accuse the Taliban of attacking civilians.

“Over the past seven days, the Taliban has killed at least 30 civilians and injured two more in nine provinces,” an official from the Afghan armed forces said on Twitter.

The independent human rights Commission of Afghanistan on Tuesday reported that since the signing of the agreement between the United States and the Taliban, 83 Afghan civilians have been killed and 119 more have been injured. The Agency blames the Taliban for half of the killings and the Islamic state for the other half.

The second phase of the agreement is negotiations between the Taliban and other Afghan factions, which were supposed to start on March 10, but was postponed when the Afghan government, which is not an official party to the agreement, refused to release Taliban prisoners before the talks began.

The agreement provides for the release of 5,000 militants in exchange for 1,000 captured Afghan soldiers.

However, in the past two weeks, the Afghan authorities have released 361 prisoners and say they intend to release a total of 1,500 people as part of efforts to promote peace.
The Taliban released 20 members of the Afghan security forces in exchange.

Khalilzad, welcoming the efforts of both sides, called on them to speed up the process to reach the targets set out in the agreement as soon as possible.
After talks in Qatar, Khalilzad and Miller discussed the situation in Afghanistan with representatives of the Pakistani authorities, who confirmed their intention to contribute to a political settlement of the Afghan conflict.

Author: Flyn Braun
Graduated from Cambridge University. Previously, he worked in various diferent news media. Currently, it is a columnist of the us news section in the Free News editors.
Function: Editor
E-mail: Braun.freenews@gmail.com