In Florida, the search continues for people who were in the collapsed high-rise building

159 people are considered missing.

Rescuers working on the wreckage of a part of a residential apartment building in the city of Surfside near Miami continue to search for 159 people who are considered missing.

As of Friday evening, the bodies of four people who died in this disaster were found.

Surfside Mayor Charles Burkett told reporters: “We have one goal – to get people alive. That’s what we’re doing, and we’re not stopping.”

Andy Alvarez, the chief of the Miami-Dade County Fire and Rescue Service, urged the relatives and friends of the missing people to remain hopeful and said that in Haiti, his rescue team got a live girl eight days after the earthquake.

The disaster occurred early on Thursday morning– most of the 12-storey residential buildings, built-in 1981, collapsed. There were more than 130 apartments in the building, of which about 80 were occupied.

35 people were evacuated from the remaining part of the building. The cause of the incident has not yet been established.

If you have found a spelling error, please, notify us by selecting that text and pressing Ctrl+Enter.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Author: Steve Cowan
Graduated From Princeton University. He has been at the Free Press since October 2014. Previously worked as a regional entertainment editor.
Function: Chief-Editor
Steve Cowan

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors:

36 number 0.395762 time