The German cities of Torgau and Beilrode on Sunday celebrated the 76th anniversary of the meeting of the Soviet and US troops on the Elbe, the participants of the event told.
On April 25, 1945, near Torgau on the Elbe River, the troops of the 1st Ukrainian Front of the USSR Army met with the troops of the 1st US Army.
The celebrations began in the small town of Beilrode near Torgau. On April 25, 1975, the GDR authorities installed a T-34 tank, made in 1944 and used after the war for training purposes by the East German Army, on a pedestal here. Two years ago, the monument was opened for the second – time thanks to the help of sponsors from Russia; it was restored.
Among the guests at the flower-laying ceremony was Mayor Beilrode Rene Vetter. The Russian side was represented by the Consul General of the Russian Federation in Leipzig Andrey Dronov, Senior Adviser of the Russian Embassy in Germany Konstantin Nefedov, representative of Rossotrudnichestvo in Germany, Director of the Russian House in Berlin Pavel Izvolsky. More large-scale celebrations were then held in Torgau. In addition to Russian representatives, diplomats from the United States, France, Great Britain, Belarus, Ukraine, deputies of the Landtag of Saxony, officers of the Bundeswehr of Germany took part in them. They laid flowers at the stele erected to commemorate the meeting of the allies on the Elbe. In the end, the local school students launched pigeons into the sky-this symbolized peace and friendship. As one of the guests said, about 100 people participated in the action. They complied with all the necessary epidemiological requirements – in Germany, emergency measures have been declared connected with the coronavirus pandemic, which restricts social contacts, holding mass events is prohibited.