Courier service Hermes has urgently closed its postal warehouse in Eastern Germany after two employees died on the job, and another became ill in one day.
On Tuesday, a few hours apart, two men died suddenly: first, a 58-year-old worker fainted in a warehouse and died, and then a 45-year-old employee was found dead in a mail delivery van, in the driver’s seat.
The police as having occurred for an unknown reason officially recorded their deaths. An accident investigation is underway.
On Tuesday morning, another warehouse worker suddenly felt acutely unwell, but police say he had suffered from several illnesses before, and in his case, an appeal to doctors did not raise suspicions.
The warehouse of Hermes in Haldensleben (near Marburg) employs 3 thousand people. As a precaution, the management has temporarily closed the warehouse.
A team of 120 firefighters arrived to investigate the circumstances of the emergency: they checked the premises of the warehouse and the van for toxic contamination.
They opened the packages and envelopes that the deceased driver of the car was carrying to the addressees, and found in one of them a poisonous substance.
However, the amount of this poison is so small that it is not dangerous to humans and could not cause death, police say.
Autopsies are being carried out on the bodies of the deceased men, but the initial examination showed that the two deaths are unrelated. Doctors found no specific signs of poisoning.
Authorities continue a criminal investigation and investigation of the incident scene for the presence of hazardous chemicals.