Representatives of The Walt Disney Company called the lawsuit of actress Scarlett Johansson unfounded because of the online release of the Marvel blockbuster “Black Widow.”
“This claim has no grounds whatsoever. It is even more sad and upset that he is completely oblivious to the terrible and long-lasting consequences of the COVID — 19 pandemic on a global scale,” the company said in a statement, as quoted by the Los Angeles Times.
The company claims that they fully complied with the contract terms concluded with the actress who played the main role in the film.
“In addition, the release of “Black Widow” on Disney+ with a premium subscription has significantly increased her ability to earn additional funds in addition to the 20 million that she has received so far (for the film),” the statement says.
On Thursday, Scarlett Johansson filed a lawsuit in a Los Angeles court. According to the document, which is quoted by The Washington Post, the contract of the actress specifies remuneration depending on the box office of the tape in cinemas and not online streaming.
The lawsuit also notes that the representatives of the actress were ready to discuss new terms and finalize the contract. However, Marvel and Disney did not respond to this offer. The release of the picture on the Disney+ platform could “cost” Johansson more than $ 50 million.
According to IndieWire, the film “Black Widow,” released in theaters and on the Disney+ platform on July 9, collected $ 318 million — this is significantly below expectations. According to the Association of Cinema Owners of the United States, low box office receipts were largely the result of the online release of the film.