China calls on the United States to immediately reverse the erroneous decision to close the Chinese Consulate General in Houston, Chinese foreign Ministry spokesman Wang Wen-Bin said at a briefing on Wednesday.
“This is a political provocation adopted by the United States unilaterally, which seriously violates international law, the basic norms of international relations and the bilateral consular agreement between China and the United States. China strongly condemns this outrageous and unjustified step that would undermine the relations between China and the United States,” said the diplomat.
According to him, “China calls on the US to immediately withdraw this erroneous decision.”
“China is committed to the principles of non-interference (in the Affairs of other States). Penetration and interference have never corresponded to the traditions of China’s foreign policy. China’s diplomatic missions to the United States are aimed at promoting mutual understanding and friendship between the two peoples,” the official added.
Wang Wen-Bin added that by following the Vienna Convention on diplomatic relations and the Vienna Convention on consular relations, China provides the necessary facilities to American diplomatic missions and their employees.
“At the same time, the US has already imposed restrictions on Chinese diplomatic workers twice: in October last year and in June this year. They repeatedly opened diplomatic mail without permission, confiscated items for proper use,” he said.
The diplomat said that the United States openly provokes stigmatization and incites hatred against China and that the Chinese Embassy in the United States has recently even received bomb threats, and diplomatic staff – death threats.
Earlier, the editor-in-chief of the Global Times reported on Twitter that the US authorities demanded that China close the diplomatic mission in Houston within 72 hours.