China will continue negotiations with the US, despite Trump’s statements

Beijing will continue to conduct trade and economic negotiations with Washington, despite the intention of US President Donald Trump to increase duties on Chinese goods from 10 to 25 percent. As the official representative of the Chinese foreign Ministry Geng Shuang said, the next round will be held in Washington in the near future. The Chinese delegation is preparing for the upcoming visit.

“We have already held 10 rounds of consultations. We hope to resolve this issue by joint efforts, as it is beneficial for both China and the United States, and the whole world,” Geng Shuang said.

Recall a few days ago, Trump said that trade and economic negotiations with China “are moving very slowly,” and therefore from May 10 will enter into force higher tariffs on a number of goods from China. This possibility was considered last year, but Washington and Beijing managed to postpone this prospect. At the end of 2018, Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping agreed to take measures aimed at concluding a trade agreement between the two countries within three months. This deadline expired on March 1, but the US President, satisfied with the progress of the negotiations at that time, postponed the introduction of increased duties for an indefinite period.

After changing Trump’s plans, the Wall Street Journal reported that China is considering canceling trade talks with the US, the next round of which is scheduled for May 8. The statement of the Chinese Foreign Ministry has denied these rumors.