Bush Jr. considers the decision to withdraw troops from Afghanistan a mistake

The former president said that it will have a negative impact on the situation of Afghan women and girls.

Former US President George W. Bush said in an interview that the decision of the Joe Biden administration to withdraw American troops from Afghanistan will have “incredibly bad” consequences.

Bush gave an interview to the German broadcaster Deutsche Welle, which was published a few days after President Joe Biden announced new details of the withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan.

Bush referred to the progress in the situation of women and girls in Afghanistan, which, according to him, was achieved thanks to the presence of American troops.

“It is incredible how this society has changed compared to the brutality of the Taliban,” he told Deutsche Welle. – And now, all of a sudden, I fear, indescribable harm will be done to Afghan women and girls.”

Asked if the withdrawal was a mistake, the 74-year-old Bush said: “I think it is. Because I think the consequences of this will be incredibly bad. And that’s why I’m sad. Laura and I spent a lot of time with Afghan women. And they’re scared.”

Earlier this month, Biden announced that the US military mission in Afghanistan will end on August 31.

“We did not come to Afghanistan for the sake of state – building,” he said, adding that the responsibility for determining the country’s governance system lies solely with the Afghan people.

If you have found a spelling error, please, notify us by selecting that text and pressing Ctrl+Enter.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Author: Ivan Maltsev
The study of political and social problems of different countries of the world. Analysis of large companies on the world market. Observing world leaders in the political arena.
Function: Chief-Editor
Ivan Maltsev

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: