There will be no restrictions on the maximum number of spectators in the hall.
Broadway theaters will be able to host the audience again from September 14; there will be no restrictions on their maximum number in the hall. The Governor of New York, Andrew Cuomo, announced this on Wednesday.
“Broadway shows will be ready to open from September 14 with 100% capacity. Broadway is a big part of New York City’s identity and economy, and we’re thrilled to see the curtain go up again,” he wrote on Twitter. Cuomo also added that ticket sales for the performances would begin on Thursday, May 6.
In March, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said that the city plans to open theaters in September and will submit proposals to the state authorities to reopen safely them. Such measures included the opening of a coronavirus vaccination center for employees of the theater industry, as well as the organization of rapid testing points. All performances on Broadway were suspended on March 12, 2020, due to the pandemic. At that time, the repertoire consisted of 31 performances and musicals, including eight new shows. There were rehearsals for eight more productions, which were scheduled to premiere in the spring of last year. In October last year, the Broadway League Association, which unites more than 700 theater owners and artistic directors, producers, and other industry workers, said that screenings of productions will resume no earlier than May 30, 2021.