On Monday night, a mobile phone caught fire in the cabin of an Alaska Airlines plane that landed in Seattle from New Orleans. That phone was a Samsung Galaxy A21, Seattle airport spokesman Perry Cooper told the source.
An Alaska Airlines spokesman said the aircraft crew used fire extinguishers and a battery protection bag to “keep the phone from smoking.” Passengers were evacuated from the plane via the evacuation ramps “due to the foggy interior environment.”
That’s me on my phone on the right. The passenger was 2-3 rows behind me on the opposite side. It was like a smoke machine. Flight attendants did an excellent job and all passengers were very calm. I believe one person sitting beside them might have minor injuries.
— Maddy Harrison (@Madddzh) August 24, 2021
A Twitter user who said he was on the flight described the cabin as “like a smoke machine.”
Passengers were taken by bus to the terminal, Seattle-Tacoma International Airport tweeted, and two passengers were treated at a local hospital, an Alaska Airlines spokesman said.